The first global peace project was inspired by amazing evidence that groups of specialist meditators called yogic flyers or TM-Sidhas create peaceful conditions in their surrounding locality.
The research shows that when enough of these meditators practise their meditation together in a group then peace breaks out, crime falls and other quality of life indicators all suddenly improve. The number required to achieve this miracle is not large.
The actual number of TM-Sidhas needed to produce a dramatic and immediate outbreak of peace in any area is the square root of 1% of the surrounding population. This formula had worked many times for small towns, large cities and even whole countries but the big question was would it work for the whole world?
|Can a large group of TM-Sidhas really create a global peace effect?|
This question inspired an ambitious global peace research project. Although the study period lasted only three weeks from December 1983 to January 1984, the results were profoundly dramatic and proved once again the awesome power of the Super Radiance effect.
The project drew a maximum of 8,000 TM-Sidhas from 50 different countries who came together to meditate at the Maharishi University of Management campus in Iowa. At the time, 6,900, was the square root of 1% for the then global population of about 5 billion people. This figure was the minimum number required to maintain coherence and positivity in world consciousness.
Although the duration of the global peace project was three weeks the global coherence figure was only reached for a total of nine days during that period.
Research methods used
To monitor the effect of the global super radiance group, researchers analysed nine ‘quality of life’ social indicators from countries that were geographically widely separated.
To allow for seasonal differences the scientists compared all the data for three weeks before, the three weeks during and three weeks after the project period. They also checked similar three week periods for the five years prior to the project.
Prediction of global peace validated
Prior to the project the researchers predicted that there would be improvements to all nine social indicators as depicted below. In the event this is exactly what happened.
Global peace project improvement headlines
This is what the researchers found:
- Content analysis of newspaper reports on events relating to heads of state showed a significant shift towards more positive outcomes. Prior to the project period only 35% of statements and actions made by heads of state showed progress towards reversal of prior negative trends. During the project this figure jumped to 71% and reverted back to 17% when the number of TM-Sidhas in the group dropped to 2,000 (p =.02).
- There was a significant shift of events in trouble spot countries towards greater positivity as measured by the International Conflict Scale. The percentage of ‘Total Positive Events’ shifted from 19.8% in the period before to 36% during the project. Total negative events were 80.3% prior to the project period and shrank to 64.10% during the project period, then jumped back to 85.4% as soon as the peace project was over. (p =.002).
- As predicted there were impressive improvements in the Lebanese Civil War. Total positive events increased from 9.6% prior to the project period to 57.1% during. There was a ‘surprisingly rapid evolution of agreement by all parties on a national security plan … ‘ (Research authors) Read more about events in Lebanon. (p =.006)
- Data indicated a significant rise in economic confidence, optimism, and prosperity. The World Stock Index (a measure of the major stocks in 19 countries) reversed a downward trend and instead rose 4.5%(p =.0001 ). 19 out of 20 stock markets in different countries rose by more than 1% during the three week period, a significantly greater proportion of markets rising than was seen during the previous 5 years.(p =.00004)
- 50% decreased air traffic fatalities globally compared with the previous five year period (p =.0001)
- 41.6% fewer road traffic fatalities seen in the USA than the mean for the prior 16 years. Fewer than expected traffic fatalities also occurred in South Africa (20%) and the Australian states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Western Australia, (11%) compared with the same time of year in previous years(p =.0001)
- Decreased crime observed in Washington DC (4%), Karachi in Pakistan (16%) and in the State of Victoria, Australia (13%), (p =.000002). The comparison was with crime occurrences for the 24 weeks prior to the three week project and for 3 weeks afterwards.
- 32% fewer notifiable infectious diseases in the USA and 17.2% fewer in Australia compared to the median of the prior years for the same weeks of the year (p =.0001)
- Patent applications increased over the number of applications predicted for that time of year. USA patents increased by 15.3% over the number predicted, UK patents by 6.5%, Australian patents by 33.2% and South African patents by 21% (p =.04).
Orme-Johnson DW; Cavanaugh KL; Alexander CN; Gelderloos P; Dillbeck M; Lanford AG; and Abou Nader TM;
- Department of Psychology and Department of Management and Public Affairs, Maharishi University of Management, Fairfield, Iowa, USA,
- Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 1984.
The influence of the Maharishi Technology of the Unified Field on world events and global social indicators: The effects of the ‘Taste of Utopia’ Assembly.
The Collected papers of Scientific Research on Maharishi’s Transcendental Meditation and TM-Sidhi Programme Volume 4 Paper 337.
Thanks for sharing 🙂